Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mmmmm...quintet

Buenos dias todos! I thought I would write a quick update before rehearsal this morning. We don't have any orchestra rehearsals this week. Instead, we are rehearsing with our individual chamber music groups for concerts in February. I (of course) am in a woodwind quintet. Language is not a problem in my quintet, because we all speak English. Anthony, the bassoon player, Chris, the clarinetist, and Andrea are all American. Antonio, the flute player...well, I'm still not sure what he is. He is of Polish descent, but was born in Belarus. He also lived in Russia, Korea, Argentina, and now Mexico, so he speaks a zillion languages. Luckily, English is one of them. And if you're wondering how my español is doing, it is still sucking quite badly. But I am getting really good at making accent marks on my computer. á é í ó ú ñ. Woo!
Anyway, we have to prepare two pieces. One is for a children's concert where we demonstrate our instruments and play something fun for the kids, and another one is for our "serious" concert. We chose "Across the Serengeti," and the Francaix Quintet, so we have been rehearsing those every morning rather than our usual orchestral stuff. The best part of quintet rehearsals is the fact that they take place at people's houses rather than at the hall, which means we usually have some really good snacks at our break. Rehearsal is at my place today, so Andrea and I made a double decker chocolate cake! I think I look forward to the food more than the rehearsal, although I really like playing with my group. Everyone gets along and is enthusiastic about the music, which makes it so much more fun.
Alas, it is time to get ready for rehearsal. Hasta luego, mis amigos!

No comments: